Allergies can be caused by a variety of things, such as:
- Fleas and other biting insects
- Environmental allergens, such as grass, mold, pollen and dust mites
- Food allergies
- Chemical irritants, such as shampoos, household cleaners, cigarette smoke, etc.
When your pet is exposed to these things and is sensitive to them, they may begin to exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:
- Excessive scratching, licking, chewing or biting at the skin
- Head shaking
- Wax or odor from the ears
- Fur loss, dandruff or scabbing of the skin
- Changes in the coat or skin
If you notice any of these symptoms, bring your pet to us for a full analysis. We can conduct thorough testing to determine exactly what the cause of the problem is, and then develop a customized treatment plan to correct the issue once and for all. We may recommend medication as well as some changes in your home environment. Sometimes just making a few simple changes at home can reduce or even eliminate the problem altogether.
Don’t let your pet suffer another moment with itchy, painful and annoying allergy symptoms. Bring them to Morningside Animal Hospital, where we can identify the root cause of the problem and address it in a way that will have your animal companion feeling better again in no time. If you suspect your pet has an allergy, schedule an appointment today.